points - Details)
Develop a deep understanding of the theoretical foundations of blockchain technology and learn how to write smart contracts and build decentralized applications
- Updated with four new chapters on consensus algorithms, Ethereum 2.0, tokenization, and enterprise blockchains
- Dive deep into foundational pillars of blockchain technology such as decentralization, cryptography, and consensus protocols
- Get to grips with Solidity, Web3, cryptocurrencies, smart contract development and solve scalability, security, and privacy issues
- Discover the architecture of different distributed ledger platforms including Ethereum, Bitcoin, Hyperledger Fabric, Hyperledger Sawtooth, Corda, and Quorum
Blockchain technology is the backbone of cryptocurrencies, and it has applications in finance, government, media, and many other industries. With a legacy of providing technologists with executable insights, the third edition of Mastering Blockchain is thoroughly revised and updated with the latest blockchain research, including four new chapters on consensus algorithms, Serenity (Ethereum 2.0), tokenization, and enterprise blockchains.
Apart from covering the basics, including blockchain's technical underpinnings, cryptography, and consensus protocols, this book provides you with expert knowledge on decentralization, decentralized application development on Ethereum, Bitcoin, alternative coins, smart contracts, alternative blockchains, and Hyperledger.
Furthermore, you will explore how to implement blockchain solutions beyond cryptocurrencies, such as the Internet of Things with blockchain, blockchain scalability, enterprise blockchains, and tokenization using blockchain, and the future scope of this fascinating and disruptive technology.
By the end of this book, you will have gained a thorough understanding of the various facets of blockchain technology and be comfortable applying them to diverse real-world scenarios.
What you will learn
- Grasp the mechanisms behind Bitcoin, Ethereum, and alternative cryptocurrencies
- Understand cryptography and its usage in blockchain technology
- Understand the theoretical foundations of smart contracts
- Develop decentralized applications using Solidity, Remix, Truffle, Ganache, and Drizzle
- Identify and examine applications of blockchain beyond cryptocurrencies
- Understand the architecture and development of Ethereum 2.0
- Explore research topics and the future scope of blockchain technology
Who this book is for
If you are a technologist, business executive, a student or an enthusiast who wishes to explore the fascinating world of blockchain technology, smart contracts, decentralized applications and distributed systems then this book is for you. Basic familiarity with a beginner-level command of a programming language would be a plus.
Table of Contents
- Blockchain 101
- Symmetric Cryptography
- Public Key Cryptography
- Consensus Algorithms
- Introducing Bitcoin
- The Bitcoin Network and Payments
- Bitcoin Clients and APIs
- Alternative Coins
- Smart Contracts
- Ethereum 101
- Further Ethereum
- Ethereum Development Environment
- Development Tools and Frameworks
- Introducing Web3
- Blockchain – Outside of Currencies
- Enterprise Blockchain
- Scalability and Other Challenges
- Current Landscape and What's Next
From the Publisher
The architectural view of a generic blockchain
Master blockchain with Imran Bashir
Explore the foundational pillars of blockchain technology
Discover the architecture of different distributed ledger platforms
Become familiar with Web3, smart contract development and solve scalability
What’s new in this third edition of Mastering Blockchain?
This 3rd edition of Mastering Blockchain has 4 new chapters on hot topics such as blockchain consensus, Ethereum 2, and Enterprise blockchains. All chapters have been updated to include the latest information and new and advanced topics, such as zero-knowledge proofs, zk-SNARKS, Tezos, EOS, formal methods, and blockchain security.
This book provides a holistic view of most areas of blockchain technology, along with hands-on exercises using Ethereum, Bitcoin, Quroum, and Hyperledger.
The architecture and development of Ethereum 2.0
The mechanisms behind Bitcoin, Ethereum, and alternative cryptocurrencies
What are the key takeaways of the book?
Whether you are a seasoned technologist, student, business executive or merely a blockchain enthusiast, it’s essential to focus on the underlying principles and core theoretical concepts such as distributed systems, consensus, cryptography and development using no helper tools in the start.
This book is an excellent combination of both the breadth and depth of blockchain technology. As a mastering book, it can be used not only as a reference at work, but also very effectively as a textbook in a classroom or for self-learning. There is currently no other book that provides a comprehensive overview of blockchain technology with sufficient practical knowledge.
My main goal is to create a remarkable combination of theory and practice. I aim to provide a comprehensive and in-depth reference of distributed ledger technology that not only serves the expert, but is also accessible for beginners.
I especially focus on describing the core characteristics of blockchain, so that readers can establish a strong foundation on which to build further knowledge and expertise. I also envisage that with this approach, the book will remain useful in the future despite constant advancements.
Table of Contents:
The Bitcoin Network and Payments
Alternative Coins and Smart Contracts
Hyperledger and Tokenization
Blockchain – Outside of Currencies
Current Landscape and What's Next